Learn StateCU (for Software Developers)
This documentation is the developer manual for Colorado's Decision Support Systems (CDSS) StateCU consumptive use model software.
This documentation is a work in progress and will contain notes for inserts until resources can be devoted to filling in blanks. Comments in the code with text "TODO smalers 2017-01-01 some text" (for example) are included to indicate work that needs to be completed.
If you are reading this documentation, you have an interest in learning how StateCU is designed, are a member of the software development team, or perhaps wish to contribute software code enhancements or otherwise provide input to the project. This documentation is intended to provide sufficient information to software developers to streamline understanding of the StateCU code and developer environment. It is expected that software developers are technically competant and follow conventions of the open source StateCU project.
This documentation page includes the following sections:
- Colorado's Decision Support Systems - the system under which the software is maintained
- Open Water Foundation - lead organization for moving StateCU to open source project
- How to Use this Documentation - guidance and list of main documentation sections
- License - license for software and this documentation
- Source Repository on GitHub - location of StateCU repository in GitHub
- MkDocs - the tool used to create this documentation
Colorado's Decision Support Systems
Colorado's Decision Support Systems (CDSS, cdss.state.co.us) has been developed to answer important questions about Colorado's water resources. CDSS efforts are led by the Colorado Water Conservation Board (CWCB) and Colorado Division of Water Resources (DWR).
One component of CDSS is the StateCU consumptive use model, which estimates irrigation water requirements and other demands. StateCU results are used as input to the StateMod water allocation model.
In late 2016, the Open Water Foundation began the effort to move StateCU and other CDSS software to open source licensing and establish open source software projects, referred to as "OpenCDSS", and this documentation is one project outcome.
Open Water Foundation
The Open Water Foundation (OWF, openwaterfoundation.org) is a 501(c)3 social enterprise nonprofit that focuses on developing and supporting open source software to make better decisions about water resources. OWF is providing technical resources and management to transition StateCU and other CDSS software to a sustainable open source project.
See also other OWF learning resources.
How to Use this Documentation
This website is a companion to the StateCU source code and is the source of information for software developers that modify and support StateCU.
The documentation is organized for new developers and existing developers. The reference sections at the end explain initial development environment and project setup steps that were completed chronologically and are useful as a reference to explain. Specific setup steps are referenced as needed.
- Deployed Environment - describes the deployed environment after software is installed
- New Developer Setup - new StateCU software developers should start here
- Software Design - provides details about the software code design
- Development Tasks - describes comment development tasks - refer to this after new development environment is configured
- REFERENCE: Development Environment - describes development environment software installation (some tools are shared between CDSS software projects)
- REFERENCE: Initial Project Setup - describes how the StateCU software project was initially configured
The license for this documentation is being determined in the CDSS open source project. More information will be provided later.
TODO smalers 2017-01-09 need to determine softare and documentation license.
Source Repository on GitHub
TODO smalers 2016-12-31 this information will be finalized once the public code repository and open source project website is put into place.
The source files for this documentation are maintained in the private GitHub repository for StateCU: cdss-app-statecu-fortran in the
These files are copied to the Open Water Foundation Learn StateCU (for Software Developers) website.
This documentation is prepared using MkDocs. For full MkDocs documentation visit mkdocs.org.